If the foreign driving licence is of limited term, this right applies only until this term expires.
- valid identity card or passport
- certificate of establishing residence in the Federal Republic of Germany if you have not settled down directly in the City of Hannover when entering Germany
- valid foreign driving licence
- a current photo (see requirements of Bundesdruckerei im Format 35 x 45 mm)
- certificate of eyesight of an optician for classes AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, L or T. If you fail the eyesight check, you will have to provide a medical certificate according to attachment 6 Nr. 1.2 of the Driving Licence Regulation (Bescheinigung über eine augenärztliche Untersuchung des Sehvermögens nach Anlage 6 No. 1.2 der Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung).
- a medical certificate of eyesight according to attachment 6 No 2 of the Driving Licence Regulation (Bescheinigung über eine Untersuchung des Sehvermögens nach Anlage 6 Nr. 2 zur Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung nach vorgeschriebenem Muster) for classes C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E
The certificates must not be older than two years.
- doctor's certificate according to attachment 5 of the Driving Licence Regulation (Bescheinigung über eine ärztliche Untersuchung nach Anlage 5 zur Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung nach vorgeschriebenem Muster) for classes C, CE, C1, C1E, D , DE, D1 or D1E
- doctor's certificate on an additional examination according to attachment 5 No. 2 of the Driving Licence Regulation (Bescheinigung über eine ärztliche Zusatzuntersuchung nach Anlage 5 Nr. 2 zur Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung) for classes D, DE, D1 or D1E
The certificates must not be older than one year.
- certificate of first aid instruction (Erste Hilfe)
The certificates must have been issued after July 1, 1991.
- name of the driving school, where the theory and practical driving test is to be taken
- The application fee of 42,60 € must be paid directly on applying. We accept cash or payment by EuroCard.
Please note that applications for conversion to a German licence must be made in person. Please make a prior appointment via e-mail: 32.44Terminvergabe@hannover-stadt.de.
Please note that you may be asked during the verification process to bring further documents such as a translation of the foreign driving licence by a certified translator or a classification of the German Automobile Association (ADAC), and that further costs may thus incur.
How long does it take?
The processing of your application takes about three to four weeks. It may however take longer if there are any driving offences listed in the Register of Driver Fitness.