Back to the main page

"Flüchtlinge in Stadt und Region"

recently modified:

Blick von oben auf Beine und Füße in Jeans und Schuhen. Auf dem Straßenpflaster zeigen Pfeile in verschiedene Richtungen. © Coloures-pic /

In welche Richtung soll es gehen?

Training, work or studies

Getting started for refugees

You have arrived safely in Germany and are living in the region of Hannover. You now have some questions about training, work and study. This page contains the contact details of organisations that can help you with this.

Download and further languages / autres langues / weitere Sprachen

Information and advice on work and training

There is information and advice on work and training at the Hannover employment agency and the Hannover regional job centre. There is information and advice on studying at the colleges and universities.

Finding your way around this page

  • The words with numbers are described simply in explanations
  • The residence document determines by "training and work" who is the right contact for you
  • Here you can also find links for further information
TRAINING (1) and WORK (2)
Residence document (3): Residence document (3):


Hannover employment agency (8)

Brühlstraße 4, 30169 Hannover

Telefon: 0800 / 455 500 (free of charge)

Entrance zone refugee mediation, room 3A05

Open on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

e-mail oder e-mail


Jobcenter Kabelkamp (9)

Kabelkamp 1A, 30179 Hannover

0511 / 655 940 07
0511 / 655 941 50
0511 / 655 942 50



SERVICES (please arrange appointment):

  • Interview
  • Information
  • Advice on work and training
  • Training mediation, work and training

SERVICES (please arrange appointment):

  • Interview
  • Information
  • Advice on work and training
  • Training mediation, work and training

Please bring with you:

ID / residence document, diplomas and certificates

Please bring with you:

ID / residence document, diplomas and certificates 

STUDYING (10) – possible with all residence documents


University of Hannover (HsH)
-zlb- (apprenticeship support centre) – student advice
Stammestraße 115
30459 Hannover

Office hours:
Monday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Thursday from 2:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.

0511 / 929 610 77 und
0511 / 929 610 75



University of Music, Theatre andMedia, Hannover (HMTM)
International Office
Hindenburgstraße 2-4
30175 Hannover
Room E 005

Office hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Monday and Thursday from 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.

phone: 0511 / 310 073 69




Leibniz University Hannover
International Office
Welfengarten 1 A
30167 Hannover

Appointments by arrangement
phone: 0511 / 762 39 64



Veterinary colleges
Academic foreign office
Foundation for veterinary colleges Hannover
Bünteweg 2
30559 Hannover

Office hours:
Monday, Thursday and Friday from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

phone: 0511 / 953 80 80



Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Student administration
Carl-Neuberg-Straße 1
30625 Hannover
Klinisches Lehrgebäude (J1)
Erdgeschoss (Ebene S0)

Office hours:
Monday and Tuesday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
during term time Tuesday 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Monday and Friday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

phone 0511 / 532 90 56



Student administration

Links (11)  


(1) Training

With training you have good chances of finding a job. There are two classical models of training:

1. Dual training:
The training takes place at a company and a vocational college. There are around 330 professions that can be learned in Germany. The training lasts from 2-3 or 5 years. Once a month you receive payment from your training company.

2. College training:
You can also train for a profession at a vocational college. There you study full time. At some colleges, it is also possible to study part-time. Certain professions can only be studied there.

(2) Work

You want to earn money and are looking for a job. In the German system, a recognised qualification is important. This could, for example, be apprenticeship (or training course) or an academic qualification. With this, you have good chances of finding a job. You can also work without any training or qualifications. You can find information and advice at the Hannover employment agency or at the regional job centre for Hannover.

(3) Residence document

In your residence document it states what kind of residence status you have. This is the permit allowing refugees to live in Germany. Please ask at the immigration authorities whether you can work or do an apprenticeship or training course with your residence status. Or ask at the responsible authorities, such as the employment agency.

(4) Proof entry for asylum seekers

Every refugee receives this pass document at the initial reception centre on entering the country, if he has not yet applied for asylum.

(5) Granting residence permission

Those who apply for asylum at the Ministry for Migration and Refugees (“Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge“, or BAMF), receive this document. The document is valid until the application is denied or approved.

(6) Toleration certificate

A person without a residence permit who for a particular reason does not have to currently leave the country receives this.

(7) Residence permit

A refugee can live in Germany for a limited time with a residence permit. It allows you to work and may be extended as long as the permitting circumstances still apply. At the Hannover regional job centre, someone with a residence permit can get help looking for a job and money for accommodation and living expenses.

(8) Hannover employment agency

You currently hold one of the following residence documents: Proof of entry for asylum seekers, residence permission or toleration certificate. At the Hannover employment agency you can get advice and information on training, work and education. You can also get help there with work and training mediation. There are a variety of services on offer at the Hannover employment agency. The professional information cenre (BIZ) is a service:

Brühlstraße 4 (Entrance Escherstraße 17)
30169 Hannover

Open Monday to Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Open on Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Open on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

There you can get information on professions, use a PC, print and scan for your job application. This service is free of charge.

(9) Jobcenter Region Hannover

Your current residence document is the residence permit. You need financial help for housing and living costs. You must apply for this. If the job centre accepts the application, you are then a client there. At the Hannover Job centre you can also get advice and information on training, work and education. The Job centre also mediates training and work for you.

(10) College / University

There are many different types of colleges and universities in Germany. Some are specialised towards specific study programmes, some are practical,some offer very different courses. To study, specific qualifications are very important. All colleges and universities offer student advice. There you can find out about the courses and the prerequisites.

(11) Links

Training and work