The museum’s internationally famous collection includes 35,000 historical and contemporary works from satirical artists famous across the world. The body of work includes early caricatures from the 17th century, to oeuvres by William Hogarth, Honoré Daumier, Francisco de Goya and artists for the former German satirical magazine “Simplicissimus” to Gerhard Haderer, Tomi Ungerer, F. K. Waechter and Ronald Searle. Called Wilhelm Busch, the museum owes its name to the artist who stemmed from Lower Saxony and played a key role in the international development of the satirical image. The majority of his art and writings are in the museum’s possession, including the pictorial manuscripts of Max and Moritz. Temporary exhibitions are devoted to caricature, children’s book illustrations and fashion artistry, as well as to cartoons and comics.
The museum is accommodated in a palace, built between 1779 and 1782 for Duke Johann Ludwig von Wallmoden, in the middle of an English landscaped garden.