Hannover – International City
A city in the heart of Europe, a city with Europe in its heart
Due to its history and its central location within the European transport network, Hannover is situated both historically and geographically in the heart of Europe. Approximately 57,000 people in the city are citizens of another EU Member State.
With a turnout of 63.6% at the 2019 European elections, the Hanoverians showed a great interest in the fate of the European Union. As a Europe-oriented city, Lower Saxony’s state capital Hannover has taken numerous initiatives over the years to strengthen the idea of Europe among its citizens and to assume responsibility in and for the European Union. The development of friendly relations and thematic cooperation with other European cities plays an important role in this respect. More
An attractive international location
A multicultural population, an international trade fair location with businesses that are global players, an internationally renowned science and research sector and prestige with regard to culture and sustainability: comparison with the rest of Europe reveals that Hannover already has many strengths to offer. Additionally, many stakeholders in the world of business, science, education and the arts – as well as in civil society – are internationally active, and have a strategic basis for their activities in the international arena.
The 'Hannover – International City' action plan provides an overview of the locational strengths of Hannover and the strategic developmen...
The figures speak for themselves:
- 178 nations in Hannover: almost 1/3 of the 545,000 people in Hannover have another nationality or a second nationality in addition to the German one.
- One international school and eight European schools.
- Over 130 binational associations and autonomous migrant organizations.
- Two Consulates General and about 25 Honorary Consulates.
- One in eight students at the 10 higher-education institutions in Hannover comes from abroad.
- Among the world's most important cities for trade fairs and conferences and international cultural offerings: Hannover had 2.25 million overnight stays in 2018, including around 482,000 from guests from abroad.
- Global players and world-famous brands such as Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Continental, Bahlsen and TUI, as well as internationally operating medium-sized companies in all sectors.
- 3.9 million visitors attended 113 Deutsche Messe AG events worldwide in 2018.
- The Royals Gardens of Herrenhausen honoured as the best historical garden in Europe 2015.
- Largest Schützenfest (markmen’s festival) in the world.
- Internationally recognized sustainability and quality of life. The Eilenriede urban forest is twice the size of Central Park in New York!
- The website www.visit-hannover.com is available in 18 languages!